An international motor manufacturer is looking for a remarkable Welding Engineer to be based in Pretoria to be part of their tooling and pressing engineering team
Purpose of the Role
Is to determine the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements. Set up components for welding according to specifications while making use of weld components using manual or automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead). Duties also include testing and inspection of welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws while maintaining equipment and weld parameters in a condition that does not compromise safety or quality.
- Establish and maintain welding process and quality parameters according to customer specifications for MIG (GMAW) and resistance welding operations
- Create reaction plans to correct in process welds that are out of specification
- Establish procedures, processes and testing equipment for destructive and non-destructive testing on resistance and MIG welding applications. Including cut and etch (macro etch), Peel and tensile tests with the assistance from the Quality Department
- Work with Design and Manufacturing Engineering and Prototype Departments to fine-tune designs, material selection, documentation, fixtures, gages, and process control to optimize product manufacturability
- Work with Design and Manufacturing Engineering to develop welding systems and fixtures and participate in the MEA region
- Study current welding processes for cost reduction and process improvement
- Maintain performance on weld cells (touch-up, troubleshooting, improvements)
- Train and aid in the skills development of the welding and local quality team
- Assist in qualification of weld cells and processes
- Leads or participates in Kaizen activities to drive and ensure continuous improvement in processes, products, components, raw materials, and equipment
- Undertake root because analysis complete with ICA and PCA should defects be experienced.
- Improve Framing Line equipment uptime using monitoring tools and weld verification (destructive/non-destructive testing).
- Develop and implement short, medium and long-term improvement plans for implementation within the welding process.
- Undertake root cause analysis and ensure Permanent Corrective Actions (PCA’s) are implemented while ensuring weld quality and integrity.
- Optimization of weld processes to meet objectives of lowering cost and/or improving productivity.
Minimum experience and qualifications required
- National Diploma or degree: Mechanical / Welding Engineering
- 3-4 Years Part / Product Assembly Experience.
- Weld parameter setup.
- Destructive testing and weld quality verification.
- Experience with designing and programming manual, robotic and automated welding systems
- Proficient in ISO GDandT standards
- GMAW experience on walled tubing (Chassis)
- Experience with Kawasaki robots / Lincoln welding equipment is an advantage
- Experience in a high volume manufacturing environment
- Material Joining (Resistance Welding / Gas Metal Arc Welding)
- Weld Verification (Destructive / Non-Destructive) Testing
- Weld Verification (Cut and Etch)
- Weld Parameter Setup
- Robotic Welding Exp
- Basic Project Management
Behavioural skills required
- Ability to supervise people
- Team player
- To work independently
- Self motivated
- Strong Leadership Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Basic Project Management Skills