ABOUT NTP RADIOISOTOPES:
NTP Radioisotopes SOC Ltd is a subsidiary of the South African Nuclear Energy Corporation (Necsa). We are headquartered at the world-class Pelindaba Nuclear Facility near Pretoria, South Africa.
NTP is a leading global producer and supplier of radioisotope-based diagnostic imaging and therapy products, and exports to 50 countries around the world.
The NTP brand is built around values of excellence, safety, accountability, reliability and growth. Transformation is at the very heart of what we do at every level and we are committed to an extensive cultural change process that will enable us to ensure our world-class legacy well into the future.
As part of ensuring the sustainable, profitable future of nuclear radiation products, we have committed to systemic engagement with and improvement of our business relationships with partners and subsidiaries, and ensuring that our operating model, our leadership, and our people are supported and enabled through these processes. Enterprise Development forms a key part of our strategy for sustainability.
For more information on NTP Radioisotopes SOC Ltd visit: www.ntp.co.za
NTP is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer who will be accountable for ensuring the technical integrity of the designs of Systems, Structures and Components in use by NTP through sound engineering practice and to ensure that these systems meets the technical requirements imposed by regulatory authorities, the OSH Act and SHEQ requirements.
To be responsible for activities involving engineering analyses, calculations and evaluations, and the design and development of engineering design changes for structures, systems and components for NTP plants, with a focus on the economy, safety, reliability, quality, operability and maintainability of the engineering being provided.
Duties & Responsibilities
Design, develop and commission new mechanical systems and processes.
- To provide technical leadership and guidance to ensure that its key technology projects are successfully executed;
- To ensure the integration of the technology strategy with the broader business strategies;
- The development of strategic objectives for new facilities, infrastructure, processes and plant renewal projects;
- The development and deployment of the necessary technical management systems, processes and infrastructure to ensure that projects, facilities and process comply with good engineering practice and all associated regulatory requirements;
- Act as design authority for the organisation;
- Verify, validate and approve the technical baselines of systems as they are progressively developed;
- Specify conformance criteria for Systems, Structures and Components that has to comply with requirements of the OSH Act;
- Ensure that design and development plans conform to procedural and regulatory requirements;
- Managing experimental development programmes; and
- Serve as the Responsible Engineer (RE) and/or Lead Responsible Engineer (LRE) on projects.
Routine Engineering Support.
- Generate engineering related documents in accordance with client, NTP, and regulatory requirements, adhering to client and NTP’s procedures, processes and specifications;
- Develop and manage specialist design support agreements with service providers;
- Approval of mechanical designs as Professional Engineer;
- Provide engineering support to resolve technical problems and designs; and
- Provide engineering support during design and safety reviews of systems, and associate design calculations.
Support the Drawing office
- Prepare error-free engineering documents (e.g., drawings, sketches, instructions, inputs, calculations, analyses, evaluations) according to and bounded by industry codes, standards, and regulations to support client engineering needs;
- Develop, improve and maintain drawing office procedures;
- Assist draughtsmen with conceptual solutions to design tasks; and
- Coach and develop draughtsmen.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic knowledge and understanding of nuclear physics.
- Very good knowledge and understanding of all aspects of engineering.
- Sound knowledge of the different business systems, associated applications and the interrelationship between the business systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of the company policies and procedures applicable to the specific work environment to ensure that work outcomes are compliant to the policies and procedures.
- Advanced business communication skills enabling verbal and written communication at all levels.
- The ability to negotiate with role players and arrive at a win-win situation in the best interest of the organisation and the negotiating party.
- The ability to manage conflict in such a way that the cause of the conflict is understood by all relevant role players and that the issue causing the conflict is resolved in an amicable manner.
- The ability to analyse situations and to arrive at the best possible solution.
- The ability to identify developmental areas of subordinates and to manage the necessary interventions to overcome development areas.
- The ability to plan, organise, lead and control in the work environment to achieve the business objectives.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- B Eng. / BSc Eng. in mechanical engineering with a strong background in design.
- Registration as a professional engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in mechanical engineering design.
- Design experience in the nuclear environment preferred.
- Experience in design according to formal standards and codes.
- A thorough understanding the implications of design responsibility in a highly regulated environment.
Package & Remuneration
Closing Date: 27 July 2020
Important: The suitable candidate will be selected with the intention of promoting representivity and achieving EE targets as contemplated in the relevant NTP Employment Equity Plan.
Should you not hear from us within 30 days of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.