Our company is looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Frames Welding Engineer to join our dynamic team.
Primary role will be to determine the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements. Set up components for welding according to specifications while making use of weld components using manual or automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead). Duties also include testing and inspection of welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws while maintaining equipment and weld parameters in a condition that does not compromise safety or quality.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain welding process and quality parameters according to customer specifications for MIG (GMAW) and resistance welding operations
- Create reaction plans to correct in process welds that are out of specification
- Establish procedures, processes and testing equipment for destructive and non-destructive testing on resistance & MIG welding applications. Including cut & etch (macro etch), Peel and tensile tests with the assistance from the Quality Department
- Work with Design and Manufacturing Engineering and Prototype Departments to fine-tune designs, material selection, documentation, fixtures, gages, and process control to optimize product manufacturability
- Work with Design and Manufacturing Engineering to develop welding systems and fixtures and participate in FMEA’s
- Study current welding processes for cost reduction and process improvement
- Maintain performance on weld cells (touch-up, troubleshooting, improvements)
- Train and aid in the skills development of the welding and local quality team
- Assist in qualification of weld cells and processes
- Leads or participates in Kaizen activities to drive and ensure continuous improvement in processes, products, components, raw materials, and equipment
- Undertake root because analysis complete with ICA and PCA should defects be experienced.
PERFORMANCE MEASURES/ SUCCESS CRITERIA
- Improve Framing Line equipment uptime using monitoring tools and weld verification (destructive/non-destructive testing).
- Develop and implement short, medium and long-term improvement plans for implementation within the welding process.
- Undertake root cause analysis and ensure Permanent Corrective Actions (PCA’s) are implemented while ensuring weld quality and integrity.
- Optimization of weld processes to meet objectives of lowering cost and/or improving productivity.
- Providing assistance in the welding assembly and maintenance of welding equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES (KSA)
- Experience with designing and programming manual, robotic and automated welding systems
- Proficient in ISO GD&T standards
- GMAW experience on walled tubing (Chassis)
- Experience with Kawasaki robots / Lincoln welding equipment
- Experience in a high volume manufacturing environment
- Applied knowledge of carbon equivalency formula
Desired Experience & Qualification
- National Diploma or degree: Mechanical / Welding Engineering
- 3-4 Years Part / Product Assembly Experience.
- Weld parameter setup.
- Destructive testing and weld quality verification.